my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, March 1, 2008

In like a lion?

What a great start to March! It's a beautiful sunny Saturday, with a supposed high of 57. That is almost spring. If this is how March begins, just think how it's going to end! I love the freshness a new month gives you -- I could end March a completely different person than I am starting it. Think how fast I could be running then, or how much weight I could be lifting, or how much less I could weigh, or even how much happier I could be. I too could be going in like a lamb and out like a lion!

I started the month out perfectly when it comes to my fitness goals. I made it to the Saturday morning BodyPump. I was so impressed that Brandy, Erin and Jennifer went with me. We are really starting a tradition! It was a tad difficult to get four spots together, but we managed. And even though Tomas had to be involved in teaching the class, and he had to be positioned right in front of me, and the class seemed really hard on me, we still did it! Unlike the girl who (as Jennifer explained to me) walked in, saw Tomas up front, shook her head and left! I have been excelling with the higher squat weight for at least two weeks now. And Jennifer told me after class that I did excellent squats (meaning parallel to the floor). I know! But it's nice to hear from other people!

Then this afternoon I went back to the gym and did some great cross-training. Twenty minutes on the stairs (because I am concerned that my calves never get smaller) and then twenty minutes each on the bike and treadmill! I was impressed with myself that I could do twenty minutes on the stairs without stopping. That's the most I was able to do about 4 months ago, which is the last time I did it. So I was sure that I would have decreased my ability. Perhaps my running has increased my leg muscles and lung-capacity more than I thought.

There's probably no way I am going to get my 7 hours of gym time in this week, but I am coming back strong. I am not looking forward to Monday's weigh-in. My weight has been the exact same for the last two weeks... it refuses to change. I'm telling myself that I have been adding new quad muscles, which therefore is adding weight! But whatever...

3 comments:

BrandyGirl said...

You go girl! It was nice to see all us make it to the gym on a beautiful Saturday morning. Sounds like you've got the right attitude to start the month off. It can all be smooth sailing if we just wish hard enough, right?

Anonymous said...

I haven't done stairs in so long (unless you count the ones in Santa Monica)... but then I haven't done cardio much in a long time. Maybe next time I make it to the gym. I told my sis that you might go to Combat Monday, but she works 16 hours on Mondays, so she basically wouldn't ever be able to go that day. Anyway, nice work showing your optimism to motivate everyone else!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.