my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, March 21, 2008

Oh the Madness

Today was my only day off this week (well, I have Sunday off, but it's a holiday and my family expects me to spend it all with them, making it even more painful than a day at work). So I just have to get two hours of gym time in. Since, I can't take a BodyPump class today (well I could, but it would be way too many days in a row) I had to do two hours of cardio. This is a horrible thought to me. But what got me through? March Madness.

I went to the gym for one hour this afternoon and plan to go back for another hour with Jennifer after she gets off of work. I began my hour on the treadmill walking hills for 30 minutes. It took 20 minutes for me to watch my Gonzaga team lose to the Davidson Wildcats. Then I was addicted: I watched Drake come back 16 points to make it to overtime against Western Kentucky. The overtime got me through the rest of my workout. It just flew by. There's something about the competition that just makes working out easy. I noticed this same phenomenon during the football playoffs. I ran my best mile watching some Missouri game. Or perhaps it's the time lapse. A five minute game clock can take 30 minutes to play, whereas when I watch CNN 30 minutes of news seems to drag on for 40 minutes. Hopefully some really good game is on when I go again this evening.

These two hours today will make it a lot more probable that I will get my 7 hours in this week, although even that might be difficult with family obligations, Easter egg dying, work schedules, and gym holiday hours. I will need to squish in a workout tomorrow after work (at 6:00) and egg dying at my mom's house (could I talk her in to a 7:30 kickoff time?) and then I will need to either celebrate Easter by waking up early and getting to the gym by 8:00am or end family time by 6:30 in the evening so I can make it the gym before it closes at 8:00pm. I did buy a cute new Easter dress! I will not be wearing it, seeing as it will be snowing, and it doesn't really go with snow boots and a big wool sweater. It sure will be fun to wear sometime this spring though! Dresses have really never fit me in the past; what with my bust-to-hip ratio being all screwy. Now I guess it's perfect!


Go Georgetown!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's up with the single spacing? you'll have to remember not to let your family read this if you leave this entry unchanged. Way to go Western Kentucky! I hope the rest of you have Drake going far - although I bet you don't. See you at the gym tonight.

Karrie said...

Drake is the only team I have lost so far that I had going another round... so that game hurt me a lot, even though it got me though a great workout.
And my family doesn't read my blog, although I probably know how I feel about them!