my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We made it!

Amazingly we all made it to the 6 am BodyPump: Erin, Jennifer and me. (Brandy was able to make it last night, so she didn't have to come, and she makes it to the gym at 5:30 am all the time, so it wouldn't have been that big of an accomplishment for her to show up.) For us, it was a huge accomplishment. I was so worried I was going to miss it that I woke up at 3;30 and couldn't go back to sleep. So now that I am home, it's time for a nice nap before I have to work at noon today. This wasn't the day to increase any weights, in fact I went low on a couple of tracks I had been working on building up. I was just lucky to be there and standing upright. I plan on attending the Thursday evening session of BodyPump as well (these are my only two free times this week). So begin discussing here: is it okay to go again after 36 hours? When the experts say take a day off in between weight-lifting sessions do they mean 24 hours? In which case, couldn't I go every morning at 6:00 and it would still be 24 hours off? I figure, just this time, it's okay, and I did light weights, so I won't be sore.

I really good see the benefit of going to the gym in the morning. It's a nice feeling to know that it is currently 7:30 am and I am done with my gym requirement for the day. My work and boring meeting requirement however, is just beginning!

3 comments:

Erin said...

We did make it! Yay for us! I hope you enjoyed your nap. I did have to work at 9:00, so I went home and got ready and then twiddled my thumbs for about an hour. I was even early to work! I guess I'll just have to go to bed early to make up for the lost sleep.

I don't know about the "day off" in between weight lifting workouts. I would think 36 hours would be enough. I'm planning to go tomorrow night. And Mary must have done two workouts within 12 hrs of each other if she taught last night and then again this morning.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my nap a little too much and didn't make it to work til 10:30 - not that it matters, really. In fact, earlier in the week I told my boss I'd be taking tomorrow off, but then when I got here late today I tried to tell her I would work tomorrow morning, but she basically won't let me. Apparently she thinks I need a vacation from all the hard work I do. Guess I won't set her straight on that one. So I guess I'll just take the nap this morning as vacation too. As Karrie pointed out, I'm not going to be taking a vacation in June now, so I have some extra time.

I think it's fine to do Body Pump close together, but you probably don't want to do that all the time. I think your normal Tues/Thurs/Sat is better, but for the weeks that doesn't work, it's ok to go a couple days in a row. Just be sure not to overdo it both times cause that seems like it could be bad somehow.

Jen said...

You guys are tougher than me. I think I've gone to the gym at 6 am once and that was it. I'm happy if I'm there by 8. I bet you'll all be really flippin' tired pretty soon here. Good luck making it through the day!