my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, March 7, 2008

Sweet Sixteen

Well I didn't make it to the gym this morning. It was way too easy to ignore the alarm when I knew I didn't have to get up. What I did make it to this morning is my high school weight. And not just my high school weight, but what I weighed when I turned 16 years old. Now, I don't know how I think that this number (t-25 pounds) is actually the weight I was in high school. I just remember weighing this once and therefore, it has been a goal of mine to get back to. Obviously, I still have weight I would like to lose; I wasn't at my goal weight in high school either. But, it feels amazing to me to say that I am back to where I was 12 years ago!

Let me take you back to my senior year in high school: Usually I get about 5 hours of sleep per night. A combination of talking to Jennifer on the phone until 2am and trying to figure out my calculus homework keeps me from sleeping well at all. For most of the day I sit. Every 50 minutes they let us get up and walk to our next class for 4 minutes. Of course, I take PE, but as a non-athletic person I opt to take racket sports and therefore only move around a court or on a good day: around a ping-pong table. For lunch, if we don't race out to McDonald's, we sit in the hall at school and eat: a piece of pizza, a nutty bar and a bottle of Mt. Dew. Oh, the life! After school I head to my job at K-Mart where I stand for 4 hours, but not in a healthy way.

Obviously, proudly, my life as changed. I almost always get 8 hours of sleep. I actually have a job where I get up every 4 minutes rather than every 50. I workout lots and lots; and actually have muscles now. I wouldn't dream of eating that much crap in just 27 minutes for lunch. In general, my stress level is much lower; I don't ever have to think about calculus or getting into college.

So from here on out, every pound lost, every ounce of muscle built, every hour I work out and every good night of sleep I get, is me becoming the best me I have ever been!!!

2 comments:

BrandyGirl said...

Sounds like you've really got a good thing going. I like the positive vibe I hear in this lastest blog of yours. Keep it up! Although we love you know matter what, its good to hear you talk so good about yourself!

Anonymous said...

you're the best!