my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, March 31, 2008

9 weeks till Summer

I am so frustrated right now. I have gained two pounds this week (back to 26). I keep telling myself that it must be that damn cake. But I know that this is not true. I am a very logical person (some might even say a math genius) so I look at this like a math puzzle. It doesn't add up; a two-pound weight gain is not mathematically possible. Everyone knows that a pound equals 3500 calories, so two pounds equals 7000 calories. That's 7000 calories I would have needed to consumer over the 14,000 I am allowed to eat (2000 a day to maintain weight) plus the 4200 I burned off working out. So, mathematically speaking, I must have eaten 25,200 calories this week, or 3600 a day. That did not happen! This is why I am frustrated. I know that weight has to do with more than just numbers. I am sure it has more to do with salt intake, muscle mass, water retention, hormonal shifts, etc... but it's about to make me give up. And I know that you guys all want me to focus more on how I feel (crappy by the way) and the energy I have (none) and how my pants fit, but all my Monday weigh-in cares about is that number on the scale.
As I thought about this number in the shower this morning, I decided I was going to take a week off. What if for the next week I didn't count calories, or worry about what I am eating? What if instead I ate crap on purpose -- and enjoyed it? What if I worked out a few times, instead of seven? What's the worse that could happen? I'd gain two pounds -- oh well, that happens anyway. When I suggested this to Erin at work this morning though, she claimed the worst possible outcome would be ten pounds. Sigh... So I had Subway for lunch. I guess I'll keep on truckin'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here's to the math genius!!!! and to your continued motivation despite the difficulties