my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter Buffet

My family isn't like most families. We don't all gather at Grandma's house for a big meal. Instead, we don't let Grandma cook because she burns things, and us gathering is the size of the average dinner table. So for Easter we made reservations for five at some buffet around town. This is similar to what we do for most Thanksgivings, some Christmas' and now Easter. Usually the meal runs about $15 and I eat about one plate. Still, I figure I managed to stack 1000 calories on that fifteen dollar plate. I don't know what it is about buffets. I understand that a lot of people tend to over eat. I, however, pretty much get tired of the luke-warm food after about one trip. But what I do find that I actually enjoy eating, generally has been sitting in a pile of oil: eggs, potato casserole, biscuits and gravy, and bacon. Then there are usually a variety of desserts available: cookies, peanut butter pie, cheesecake, all of which are much harder to resist than Grandma's burnt pecan bars! On top of this, I went back to my mom's house to find a cute chocolate bunny waiting for me.

I managed to leave the family-festivities by 6:00 so I could make it to the gym before it closed at 8. So I succeeded with getting seven hours of gym time in this week. Today I ran a mile and then walked a mile. I had intended on running another, but was just too tired, or lacking the appropriate energy (what oily bacon doesn't inspire great jogs?). So I finished off my workout time with an uphill bike ride. I am going to try and do more running again. I have been looking at joining a new Nike Challenge. By the way, I came in 18th in the last one.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in. My weight has been high every morning this week, and today's crap food can't have helped it. Even though I got all my work outs in this week, and stayed pretty close to my calorie requirements, it's been a pretty crappy week. My basketball team has lost, work has been stressful, and I've been pretty emotionally drained. I'm ready for a better week!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Way to get to the gym post holiday buffet. I went this morning in anticipation of eating horribly, which I did...but it was more emotional eating than anything. Sorry to hear about your team. Maybe next year!

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure you would have an entry about the defeat of Georgetown. I'm not sure you gave them the credit they deserve - or are you trying to say that they don't deserve any credit because they are losers? At least you didn't have Easter at the Golden Corral!