my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Wheeeeeee!

Last night I discovered the fun/innovativeness/exhaustiveness of the Wii sports gaming equipment. And let me say, I just love Wii Boxing! There are two modes of play: individual or competition. When you play by yourself you are given one minute to hit the boxing bag as many times and as hard as you can. In competition mode you actually hit your "virtual" opponent round after round, until someone goes down and can't get up again. I enjoyed both modes of play (especially taking my boss out in round three!) Here's the key though: it had me winded in just minutes and this morning my shoulders hurt. Because it is a virtual game, there is no punching bag to provide resistance, but it still seems to be a great work out. I could totally punch the bag for 5 minutes at a time, 6 times per day. And I bet I could really see myself improve over weeks of use, until I could do it for 30 minutes straight. Obviously I am not going to go out and buy a Wii; I have no interest in owning a gaming machine, or spending $300 on a piece of workout equipment. But, if anyone has access to a Wii and wants to invite me over to box, I will be happy to visit! This has me even more interested in taking the Kickboxing class at the gym. I just wish that there were actual boxing bags to hit.

2 comments:

Erin said...

The Wii was so much fun! And it really was a great work out! I'm sore in places that I obviously haven't been working in BodyPump.

Anonymous said...

I like how you asked me how much a Wii cost, and I totally made up a number, and then it showed up on your blog. I love that you just take what I say as fact, without questioning it.... I should really use this to my advantage!