my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, January 16, 2009

What Erin Read

I managed to make it to the gym this evening after a busy day of work. I still have to work tomorrow, and the fifth-out-of-sixth-day phenomenon is exhausting me. I absolutely had to run; I hadn't done any running since last Saturday. My goal was to run 3.5 miles with two breaks. But I just knew I didn't have it in me. The idea of running twenty straight minutes was killer, and running the better part of fifty-minutes seemed impossible. Then I remembered something that Erin read this week: sprinting for 60 seconds and then walking to catch your breath six times, is an equal fat/calorie burn as running at a consistent pace for forty minutes. Now, I had heard of things like this before; interval training is all the rage right now. It is supposedly how you trim your belly-fat. So I told myself that I could run for one-minute at a time as long as I sprinted, which for me is about a 6.0 pace. Of course in order to get my 3.5 miles done I needed to do this much more than six times. In the 44-minutes it took me to complete the distance, I probably ran 13 to 15 fast minutes (I lost count). The thing is, it seemed easier than running how I usually do, and I did this 3.5 miles in the same time as last week's 3.25 miles. So it seems like a win-win. Plus, I worked on speed.

Now, I am invited to Jennifer's to eat pizza. I am going to try and only eat one slice and big-old-yummy salad. I have goals you know! Oh, my skinny pants fit today. Remember the pants I had shrunk too much to wear last week. Well I squeezed them on today. I'm not saying they were the most comfortable pants I have, but at least I was able to walk around in them. Sometimes you just have to prove a point to yourself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to tempt you with pizza - it's just easy and something everyone will eat. Thanks for coming over though - hopefully the menu didn't ruin your healthiness too much.

Maybe I should try running q minute intervals. Although then I would dread the running so much during the breaks that I wouldn't really get to enjoy them at all, so then how is that much better than running? Oh yeah, possibly the wanting to die part. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

Jen said...

That was a really good way to work on your speed! Way to go! I did not make it to the gym last night because Don's friend came over and set up our wireless router. Tonight though! I will make it tonight....