my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Seventy-Eight Minutes

I was working on my running plan for the month today, and I began thinking about running six miles. I have given myself until June to become capable of such a feat. I have told myself that I just need to do it, no matter how slow I go; how long it takes. But today as I was working on the calendar of goals, I realized that six miles is a long way. If I run slowly (13 minute-miles) it will take me 78 minutes. That's over an Hour. Of. Running! So here's a question I have for Jen: am I going to get faster just by practicing running that much, or will I have to do something special to get faster? Since tomorrow is the first week of the rest of the year, my workout plan starts tomorrow. However, since my birthday (birthday eve, birthday lunch, birthday dinner, post-birthday drinks with my work people, and birthday party with friends) will take up most of the week, the healthy-eating portion of the year doesn't begin until next Monday. Oh the burden of celebrating my greatness! But you only have one 29th birthday week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's why I don't want to run 6 miles. I can't imagine running for that long - And I can't imagine running much faster. Although I've never really trained or tried to achieve a goal like running faster, so I have no idea how to do that. 5K is enough for me, and even that isn't something I want to do very often. I think you would have to run like 4 miles almost every day between now and then so you could start getting faster. But I have no clue really. Guess I should have asked Ryan last night when I saw him at the restaurant - sorry - if I see him again, I'll know what to do.

Jen said...

You should be able to get faster just by running that much. I would focus though on getting one longer run in a week (at a slower pace) and work on the shorter/faster times throughout the week. You don't want to challenge yourself on the long run, just get through it. During the shorter ones, make yourself do 30 seconds or a minute at a faster pace, then slow down and repeat throughout the workout.

A 10k really isn't that long. Just over an hour for most (18 minutes over really isn't a lot in the big scheme of things). Think about it this way, two of your classes adds up to two hours, and you will finish the 10k before that and with time to rest and stretch. I know you can do it (even without walking breaks!).