my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Great Bicep Challenge

I have been talking for the last couple of weeks about increasing our weight lifting amounts. I have realized that I have been allowing myself to go easy in BodyPower class lately merely because I am so tired of Kickboxing. I really don't want to give up my kickboxing class, so I must push myself to use the weight lifing class to my advantage. So lately I've been increasing my squat weights. It hasn't been too bad for me lately; I am not squatting any more weight than I was doing last summer, I had just taken a break from it. So soon my goal was going to be increasing my bicep weight, which I feel is the hardest thing to improve upon. I tried going up to a Medium and Small last summer, but it was just so hard every time. I figured I should start by adding smalls to the end of the bars for the first half of the track, and then take them off at the break. That was going to be the plan... eventually. But then last night Marika had a challenge for us. She wanted everyone to increase their bicep weight by one small weight. No cheating! And because all of us had to do it, it was kind of fun. She was trying to prove what she always says to us: You can do so much more than you think you can! Because it was a group effort, I wasn't suffering while the lady next to me was taking it easy. Still, it was so so difficult. My arms were burning by the end of the track and I felt like I might have ripped something when it was over and I was stretching. Today though, I feel it even more. I can barely lift anything, which is amplified by the fact that I had a Teen Movie Matinee and had to lift a bunch of chairs down in the meeting room. Mainly my arms just burn all the time -- even while I am typing this. I suppose I should try to do the higher weight again on Wednesday. I just can't stand the suffering. But I just keep telling myself: I will have great arms by summer!

Tonight I am crossing another item off of my Thirty Things list and taking a Zumba class. I have gotten Erin and Sara talked into going with me. We'll see if we hate it. Although I can cross if off of my list once I take it tonight, I am well aware of the fact that I need to go three times before I can give an opinion on the class. Remember how I wanted to quit Combat at one points? Boy am I glad that I didn't! Still, I'll let you know how class goes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

am I the 'lady next to you, taking it easy'? I hope not. For some reason, my biceps aren't sore yet. I'm not sure why - it was really tough. Parts of my legs are a little sore, but nothing from my arms yet. Maybe it's still coming. But I do agree that I also need to take full advantage of my time at the gym - especially since it is hard to get myself there.

Anonymous said...

Still no sore biceps here.... I can't believe it, because it was practically impossible to finish the song. Now I don't know what weight to do tonight.

Karrie said...

Neither Jennifer nor Erin was sore like me after the bicep challenge. That tells me something... you guys are pansies that need to pick up the weight lifting! Obviously you've just been sliding along for way to long.

Now me? I can hardly drive!