my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Break for Mom

Today is my mom's birthday. So I took the day off from my scheduled run to go out to dinner with her (as healthy as possible) and hang out with her at her house. We didn't eat any cake or dessert, even though she offered me ice cream like five times. I hadn't taken a day off from working out since last Thursday; so it was probably a needed break. Today was a really rough day of the Special K diet. Since I had to save my meal for dinner, I only ate Special K drinks, power bars and fruits and veggies all day. I was starving by the time it was 4:00pm and I wasn't allowed to eat again until dinner at 6:30. I am ensuring that I eat 1200 calories each day because I don't want to damage my metabolism. But I am not sure if this is the best plan for me. I just like to eat food too much. I have done a little research on the diet though and have found that it is good for a) learning to eat breakfast b) teaching yourself to have healthy (fruit) snacks twice a day and c) jump starting you on a healthy eating plan. I probably already know how to do those things and was doing them well just 10 weeks ago. What I need is the motivation to get back to it. And the combination of that high number on the scale, those pants that were too tight last week and the fact that I want to buy new shorts in a smaller size this summer makes me more than motivated. I will continue to do the diet for a few more days and see how it works out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely think you at least need to keep with it until the weigh in on Monday. Then you can assess how it is working, or if it isn't working. But how can you make that determination now, when you can't see the results? Maybe I'm just a victim of advertising, but they say it works - I think you need to give it a chance to work. Up until today you sounded so motivated, but now you seem like you've lost some of that drive. Work towards Monday's weigh in, and then decide if you should continue or not. That's my advice.

Anonymous said...

Up until now... you mean MONDAY. I think it will work better when I have my big meal in the afternoon. At night I can stay busy or go to bed if I'm hungry, but at work it is just so hard to think about anything else!

Anonymous said...

Well I didn't read this until WEDNESDAY - and it was a vast contrast from the overly upbeat you were for the past week, so it seemed like such a big loss of motivation.

Aren't you busy helping patrons or something at work???