my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Without Competition I am Nothing

I have been a loser the last week, and not in the good way. I have eaten out almost every night since my race. I have worked out less often than I used to (five hours since my race) and I have allowed myself to eat crap: Chinese food on Tuesday, a candy bar on Thursday and margaritas on Sunday and again planned for this evening. Now I know this is only because I had been so regimented for so many weeks and done such a good job that I am just lightening up my routine and relaxing a bit. However, I have gained two pounds, and have no intention of relaxing for long. Luckily, my friend Curtis is also wanting to lose some weight and was intrigued by the weight loss challenge I just ended. So we are going to begin our own. This one will not be based on current weight, or a percentage. It is simply how many pounds you want to lose by August 1st. I think I want to lose nine. Can I do that in seven weeks? I am sure going to try. That will put me at my final goal weight (no silly two numbers to be concerned with). It will be difficult, but it will get me back on the path and it will challenge me to do my best. Because without a competition I am nothing.

I am also looking around for some races to run. Who's interested? I need some running buddies, both to train with, and possibly to run besides me. I think Erin and Jennifer would be great at running a 5k, and therefore I think that we should try to do the Thunder Run again. You possibly recall that race I did on the morning of my high school reunion last year. My goal is to kill my 5k time, but the two of them could just work at running the whole thing, or keeping up with me if that competition gets the best of them. That is August 1st. I have also thought about doing the Columbus Downtown Run-around. This is both a 5 mile run and 2 mile walk/run that I think I've already talked Brandy into doing with me (she was tempted by the Columbus water park) and this kid Ryan who I work with (also tempted by the water park, and running in general). My mom thought she might be interested in walking the 2 miles, so I am thinking Jennifer and Erin could run this as a warm-up for their next race. This is at the end of July. Let me know. Jen, you're always welcome to join us, but I know you're busy with school and wedding planning. Who else? The more the merrier. I need some help!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You sure seem confident that I would be up for something like that..... what date is the Thunder Run anyway - if it's the same date as Jen's wedding, I'm not so sure we could do it even if we wanted. Last year it would have been mid August if I remember right, but this year could be a little different. And I'm really not sure I could either run the entire 5K or that I could keep up with you. I just don't have the desire to be a runner.

Karrie said...

Five comments ago you were all for shorter runs. The 5k ThunderRun is August 1st (no where near Jen's wedding). But Erin is going to do the 2 mile columbus run and wants you to do it with her!