my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Getting Closer

I haven't been eating very well this week. I have a lot of chips and hot dogs left over from my BBQ this week. This doesn't mean that I have been eating too many calories, and my weight hasn't increased from the eight pound mark. However, I haven't been doing a very good job of eating vegetables and fruits and protein and fiber. I really need to work on this on Thursday and Friday. I absolutely need to be in the best physical condition before my race.

I am planning on getting up early tomorrow to go running before my 11-hour work day. I know I will be too exhausted after work to do it, and also it gives me almost two full days of rest before the big run. Of course getting up early on my own isn't my strong suit. But I am so proud of all I have done for this race, that one more sacrifice should be easy. I have read lots of mixed reviews on what I am supposed to eat/drink/rest before the race. I am getting a little nervous about all the things I don't know. Does anyone have any advice for me? Jen? Carbs one day before, or two? Just drinking water the morning of, or eating something too? I wish I had prepared those things more carefully.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I ate a plain blueberry bagel and a banana the morning of my 10k. That seemed to fuel me better than any other breakfast I normally eat. I remember even going to Target the night before to get the food (since I normally don't have bagels) and the sirens went off and we sat in the back of Target eating passed out candy until the sirens ended. It was crazy! Anyway, definitely eat some carbs about 3 hours before the race and drink some water! Good luck!