my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Running Maintenance

Today's Running Goal: 4 miles
Accomplished: 4 miles in 48:56 (12:14 miles)
I'm not really sure how I am supposed to go about maintaining my running abilities, or how I am supposed to improve my speed or endurance. But I figure running three times week (2 miles, 3 miles and 4 miles) seems like a good goal. There's really no reason to keep running six miles until I find a new goal and work towards that. Anyone have any opinions on maintaining my running? Anyhow a four mile run makes a nice complete workout. Combined with the 5 minute warm up and about 10 minute cool down, I spent at least an hour working out and burned well over 500 calories. It was beautiful weather for a run. I ran north down 84th street to the park. I paid special attention to the hills because obviously that was one thing my last training plan was missing. However, the hills seemed pretty easy this go-round, even the Wal-mart hill that ruined me during last week's race. It appears that the humidity is what I need to practice for.

I am trying to get my eating back under control. I ate a some healthy cereal for breakfast, a light lunch of salad, fruit and yogurt. A protein shake at break time. And then I was starving by the time I came home for dinner. So I ended up eating more calories in the evening than I had the rest of the day. Tomorrow will be better!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good plan. Keep it up!