my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Exhaustion

I'm not sure what exhaustion feels like. But I think I might have it. I slept eight hours last night but all I want to do is lay down and sleep. When I am inside I can't get my body to warm up and when I am outside I can't get it to stay cool. I am having trouble keeping my eyes open, it's hard to get off of my chair, I have felt rushed and out of control for over a week and a half now, and I see no end in sight. I am contemplating skipping the gym tonight, but the only times I feel better are during class and right after. Those two hours are the only time in my day that I don't have to solve some crisis, or entertain a group of people, or return someones phone call, or do someone else's chores, or make something healthy to eat, or clean my house, or fix my computer, or save the world. And all this stress is making me want to eat chocolate in large portions. I just keep denying that craving, which leads to even more exhaustion.

I made an effort to meet Erin at Gold's gym last night. It was great having someone there to meet. I am currently dog-sitting for a couple of days, so after work yesterday I went and let the dog out. I absolutely needed to take a nap, but having the commitment to meet her meant that I could only sleep for 25 minutes. It was perfect. If left up to my own devices I probably would have slept the whole evening away. Unfortunately it is too warm to take Hannah running. She doesn't even want to go outside, let alone exert any energy. And double unfortunately, I am right there with her. But I will go to the gym tonight, cause that's just what I do... and then maybe I can have a little chocolate!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I think there is something about this heat that just makes us tired because I have also felt really tired, and for no good reason! I'm sure some of it has to do with a couple good workouts after being sedentary, but I almost fell asleep at work this morning! Hopefully we can relax Saturday night!

Unknown said...

Maybe attempting to save the world is what is getting you down??? Anyone would probably be exhausted if they were trying to do all that stuff. I'm pretty tired sometimes and all I've been doing lately is watching softball games.... Although I think the fact that I'm never home weighs on my energy levels. Anyway, at least it sounds like you actually slept for once, so maybe that will help.