my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Working out or just Working?

Running Goal: Run one mile in 11:06 (a 5.4 pace)
What I did: Ran one mile in 10:48
Ease/Difficulties: Hard but manageable. I ran the whole thing at the 5.4 mph pace and then took it up the last two minutes just to finish faster. Maybe it would be better for me to take it slow and steady. I mean after all, even sprinting for two minutes only saved me 18 seconds. And the two minute sprint generally leaves me gasping for air. Then I am so tired from running that I can't do much else. I developed a blister on my toe from Combat -- I must be doing the footwork right now. I was worried it might impact my running, but it did not.

So the intensity of my workout today was pretty low. I had eleven minutes of a good workout and then 19 minutes of walking before and after that (slowly). Then I rode the bike for thirty minutes this afternoon, which isn't really too difficult, but I was sweating some and my leg muscles were aching. I wish that I could Combat more than once a week. It has the perfect mixture of intensities. Just when you are dying and thinking you can't go on anymore, they take your heartbeat down so you can catch your breath. But then it's up again and as soon as you begin to think Is this ever going to end, it's over! Compared to that, all my other cardio workouts suck!

Today I had to sneak my workout in between working a few hours this morning (doing Storytime) and working some hours this afternoon/evening (training middle school students to be volunteers this summer). As I was running I was going over my speech/explanation to the volunteers. How's that for multitasking? I just wish I could count that workout as work time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you really know how to make me feel lazy. Anyway, good to hear that the mile run was manageable. If you're running at that pace, I might be able to run with you outside sometime, if it ever warms up a little. Probably by the time I get back from my meeting it'll be blazing hot and I'll have missed the best spring weather. I guess we'll just have to see.