my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, May 5, 2008

4 weeks till Summer

I gained a pound this week. And not that I didn't expect it, with all the bad eating I did this week. I am just really angry with myself. I ate out six times this week. That is not the path to weight loss. I know that; I just did it anyway. And then while I was out, instead of making healthy choices, I made bad ones. Now look at where I am. I have 20 pounds left to lose. I was supposed to be at 17 pounds this week. There is a big difference between 20 and 17. Ugh! At least this week I know what I did wrong. I just wish I could go back and do the week over.

I think I have become obsessed with the scale. I weigh in every morning and every evening, and some times in between. I get so frustrated when it moves up a little instead of down. (For example, last Thursday morning, before the weekend of bad eating, I was at that 17 pound mark). They say that seeing it move daily keeps you on the straight and narrow. But as an analyser, I seem to have become obsessed. I compare morning weigh-ins, nightly weigh-ins, after I pee weigh-ins, after I eat salt weigh-ins, etc... I wonder if I didn't weigh myself again until June 1st what would happen. Unless I gave Jennifer my scale I probably couldn't do it. And I like having those stats; it's what makes a math genius happy. I am going to make this declaration: I will not be eating out again, at a restaurant, until I am down to 15 pounds. That means, I could have a great week and a half and be back there. But I must commit myself. Unless of course, Jennifer's birthday comes, and then I can't ruin her special day with my weird food issues. Other than that, I must commit myself.

At least I worked out hard-core this week. I burned more calories in this seven day stretch than I ever have before. I got three BodyPumps done, a Combat class, some running and just some other great cardio. Think at where I would have been if I just sat around after eating all that food. That's how I got into this whole weight thing in the first place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe weighing often is more important for maintaining your weight, not so much for losing weight. Of course when you're maintaining, it will fluctuate also, but maybe the experts tell you to weigh often so you can sense a change, maybe even before those pants don't fit anymore - you know, being proactive not retroactive. Anyway, for now you've already shown you can do it, and you're getting close to the end! I know it must be incredibly frustrating and you must get really tired of living your days calorie by calorie, pound by pound. Just remember your goals and that we all have faith in your ability to succeed. Ok, enough sappy pep talks from me for tonight.

Anonymous said...

Announcing that Karrie thinks she may want to stop going to Combat soon. If you don't want that to happen, be sure to make your voice heard. She's afraid of never knowing what is going on and looking foolish - what's funny is I thought I would be doing that way before Karrie was. I guess that's her competitive streak. Anyway, I guess I'm not ready to give up yet - and we all know I look foolish during class, I've never been very coordinated and I feel like I spend the hour flailing my limbs in the general direction of what I'm supposed to be doing, and sometimes in the opposite direction. Anyway, I can't make it the next 2 weeks and I want to be able to go in 3 weeks and we all know I don't go to the gym alone.

BrandyGirl said...

I won't let Karrie back out of combat. I know I haven't always been there and have become somewhat flaky when it comes to the gym. I will be at BP tonight, soreness or not. Next Monday holds no other committment for me, so I'll be at Combat

Jen said...

You do seem to have a scale obsession. Maybe start weighing yourself only every other day. Just don't get down on yourself.... did you keep any pants from before you started this journey? If so, put them on and look in the mirror and remember how much you rock.