my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shopping as Exercise

This afternoon on my lunch break I stopped by Kohls. They were having a huge Grand Re-Opening Sale but only from 8-1. I got some great things, seeing as how nothing (and I do mean nothing) I used to own fits. Scariest of all... I bought a swim-suit. I was all alone and in a hurry and the sale was very large and I just bought. Now I am second guessing myself. But here's a question I want to pose: have you been swim-suit shopping this year? And what is up with the bottoms? Everything I find has shorts. And not just boy-short styles, but like boy-trunks. It's the swim-suit makers answer to the growing obesity rates in America. Well, as much as I absolutely hate (and I do mean hate) my thighs, I do not want to wear shorts with a swim-suit top. I don't want to lay-out in that. I don't want to go swimming in that. It is very rare to find actual bikini bottoms. Obviously you can get around this problem by wearing a one-piece suit, but I am pretty partial to the tankini look. I bought one with a white top that has blue and brown (and pink?) polka-dots on it, then the bikini bottoms are brown with a white tie that matches the top. It's cute, but I feel I bought in a hurry. I might take it back. What to do, what to do.

Tonight I will be going to BodyPump. Perhaps I will increase my squat weight -- I need to get those thighs in tip-top shape for the aforementioned swimming. Although, sometimes I wonder about targeting a certain muscle. Let's face it, I need to melt the fat off of my thighs, that's the true problem. So afterward I will stay for some cardio. Should I run or walk hills or climb steps? Who thinks they know the best exercise for sleek legs? Then I will go home and try on my new clothes again and think about how far I have come.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I hate to say it, but I think running will give you the sleekest legs. My legs looked the best when I was running 4-5 times a week... Now? Not so much. Just do what you gotta do. You should show me the swimsuit before you take it back (or someone else I guess) but it's always best to get a second opinion. Although, you also need to wear what you are comfortable in...comfort is key. Especially with swimsuits.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if running is worth it for me. I'm ok with my legs the way they are if it would mean I would have to run to change it. But that's just me. I'm sure other people probably think running is totally worth it, just not me. I agree about the swimsuits - who thought the weird shorts were a good idea? Anyway, I want to see it and we can keep looking for one if you decide you don't like this one.