my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Should I stay or should I go now?

So I am at work right now. And I am thinking about going to the gym this evening. I have been really tired lately, so I told myself I could sleep in this morning and take the day off from the gym. However, I am thinking that I would like to start working on some running goals, and goals of any kind get me kind of fired up and excited. I would have to go home to change clothes after work; that always brings me down. I am kind of hungry too, because I had to take my dinner break at 3:30. I have also made a habit of going grocery shopping every Wednesday night after work. That habit has kept me with plentiful cupboards and fresh fruit, but also has me spending way more on groceries than ever before. So pros: more calories burned, less eating done, better legs for summer shorts, something to do this evening besides sit on my bed watching television until I fall asleep. Cons: I have to go home to change, I will want to eat something, but really there are no cons, just lack of motivation. I mean, I might as well be watching TV at the gym right and they have cable. I still have an hour to decide or talk myself out of it, I mean into it.

So on to my new running goals... Last year at about this time I had worked up to being able to run 2 miles straight for the first time in my life. It took me almost a half an hour, but I was just so proud to be able to do it. Since I have been working on speed all winter (and by working on I mean like once a week when I decide to do a little running) I haven't run more than a mile at a time. Tonight I am going to try to run two miles again, as slow as I need to go. We'll see if I can do that. From there I will make some goals for the month of June!

UPDATE: I went to the gym! I ran two miles! It took me almost 25 minutes, which is fine. That's somewhere between a 12 and 13 minute mile. Now I will devise a plan where I can run those 2 miles in 22 minutes. I'm just so impressed I went. Now I need to get to doing my 5 minutes of hovering and calf raises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good work! Not only did you go to the gym, you ran 2 whole miles! Maybe I should learn to run 2 miles - but probably that would be the max I would want to run. That sounds like enough torture for me. Or maybe I would like it more .... doubtful. Anyway, great job on the gym going and the run!