my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, May 25, 2008

All About the Legs

First I spent almost three hours laying out in the sun this afternoon to make sure my legs actually saw some sun before summer begins. It was incredibly hot and humid, but the great thing about our townhouses is that at around 2:00 the sun is only in half of the backyard. Therefore, my face and body can be in the shade while my legs are still soaking up some rays. After ensuring that my calves will look great from the outside-in, I headed to the gym where I ensured that they look great from the inside-out.

Running Goal: Run two miles in 25:30 (a 4.9 pace)
What I did: Ran two miles in 25:45
Ease/Difficulties: Very difficult. I ran the first mile with no problem, but at about 1.5 I was having so much pain and breathing so hard, I just had to take a break. I thought about stopping but then I would have to attempt the two mile run again. So I let myself walk for about two minutes. I knew it was going to mean super-fast running the last few minutes. I sprinted for two minutes after my walking break, but it just wasn't enough. It took me an extra 15 seconds. I really should make myself do it again, since technically I wasn't successful. But instead, I think I will just move forward with the plan as is. I could blame the extreme humidity in the gym, but actually it wasn't too bad, considering how miserable it was outside. I may have been dehydrated from sitting outside for three hours, but who cares what the reason was... it was hard! But my legs sure will be thanking me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How are the calves doing? Can you see your efforts? I'd say you can count this run as a success, unless you don't make the next goal too, then it might be time to reevaluate. But, 15 seconds is so close, I wouldn't think you would have to do it all over. Keep it up!