my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Unlucky Number Seven

Today's Running Goal: Seven miles
Accomplished: About four, before I gave up and started walking.
I have a million excuses: lack of sleep, busy day, work stress, the fact that it was eight in the morning, the fact that I took NyQuil last night so I would sleep and was probably still waking up from that, the lack of nutrients that I have been eating lately, the mental aspect involved in running seven miles. None of them matter. My hope for today was to go out and run seven, so next Saturday during the actual race I could look back and say: Six is nothing, I just accomplished seven. But it wasn't working like that this morning. My legs felt like lead. I literally could not lift them. By mile three and a half, I was running a 13:30 mile, so I let myself walk a little bit. At four I ran some more. Walked. Ran. Walked. I could never get my rhythm back and ended up walking the whole last two miles. I am going to attempt one more three miler this week and then it's race day. I am planning on attending my normal Kickboxing/BodyPower combos on both Monday and Wednesday, combined with the running on Thursday, and then take the rest of the week off. I have a big day coming up and I have trained too hard to ruin it now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure that on race day you will be able to run well. It's gotta be different running in a group and knowing that you are on an official course. I have no doubt that you will do it, and probably surprise yourself.