my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Goodbye Marika, Goodbye Jillian

It's pretty ironic that tonight was the finale of The Biggest Loser and tomorrow evening is the last day Marika will be teaching classes at Goodyear. They will both be back in the fall. But that means that I have to get through the entire summer by myself. Well, that's not true. Mary and Ann will be taking over the bodypower and kickboxing classes, but it's just not the same. On Monday Marika was talking about this being her last week (she gave us plenty of notice) and I got a little teary. She pushes me so hard. She knows how to get me to work harder, jump higher, lift more. I have grown so attached to her. It's funny because a year ago I would have nothing to do with her. I only attended Ann and Mary's classes (and Ryan's). So I have to remind myself that change is good. New instructors remind us to pay attention to different things. And think how proud she will be of me, when she comes back in August, and I am the hottest one in class!

I was really sore today, and I am not sure from what. I didn't increase any weights. But my hamstrings were so tight and my arms hurt so bad. I took the day off from working out since it appears my body needs some time to recooperate. Today I spent 6 hours at a middle school, giving 6-45 minute presentations, which is exhausting. Tonight, I had Jennifer over for dinner. I have fallen behind on my new-recipe-each-week goal. I made portobella mushroom burgers with a garlic-dill mayonnaise on a toasted bun. It was excellent and well under 200 calories. We had fruit and baked chips for sides. Very good! There was also a bottle of wine. We were celebrating The Biggest Loser Finale! Still, I was down to 11 pounds this morning and I am working on getting lower this week. I never want to be in the tens column again. I owe it to Marika and Jillian... and myself!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I was surprised that Helen won, she almost looked too skinny. Anyway, it was good for old people last night!

Unknown said...

Jen - I agree. I'm hoping she looked too skinny mostly because her skin hasn't sprung back completely yet - not because she's actually wasting away.

I still can't believe how much I enjoy Marika's classes when I used to avoid her at all costs. I will be sad she is gone, but I do think that switching teachers might be good since all instructors focus on different things. So we just have to tell ourself everything that Marika would be saying, and then try to do that and whatever else Ann or Mary is saying. We'll be perfect if we can do all that.