my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Holy Cow

Today's Running Goal: 6 miles
Accomplished: 6 miles in 1:16:20 (12:45 miles)
Holy Cow. I did it and I am so proud of myself. My legs were really tired and kind of cramping up but my lungs could have carried me several more miles. I have definitely gotten over the mental anguish. Now I need to work on building up my leg muscles I guess. Also need to work on my time. I suppose if I was running faster my lunges wouldn't be absolutely fine at the end of six miles. But that wasn't the goal today. Today I just wanted to do it. And I still have four weeks until the race. That will give me time to do it again next week, maybe add on the .2 mile that I will have to run on race day. Then I want to try something a little farther than six miles, probably seven. At some point I want to run the actual race course. But there is plenty of time for all of that. I am so proud of myself today.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You're a super star! Way to be toughie!

Unknown said...

Funny how you spelled lungs like lunges - perhaps working out has taken over your life???

Anyway, great job on the 6 miles - and with lots of time left before your race!

Karrie said...

Jennifer, I thought that with your new boss starting today you would never be allowed to use the internet again. Here it is less than an hour into "the first day of the rest of your life" and you're already slacking! But thanks for the post and the encouragement!