my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, May 23, 2009

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad

Thursday's Running Goal: 3 miles
Accomplished: 3 miles in 33:18 (11:06 miles)
Six months ago I wouldn't have even dreamt that I would be able to run three-eleven-minute miles ever. When I was training for that 5k in Atlanta, my goal was to accomplish three-twelve-minute-miles and I couldn't even do that. Now, I am a speedster. This knocked more than a minute off my last three-miler (a few weeks ago). I'm pretty proud of this and have begun thinking about running 5ks again, and possibly actually getting better at running 5ks. The worst part of running faster is that my workouts are getting shorter. These three miles used to take 45-50 minutes with a nice warm up and cool down. Now I am down to less than 35 minutes. I guess I am still burning the same amount of calories (since I am running faster now) and really time shouldn't matter as along as I am burning enough calories to lose weight.

Friday morning my weight-loss actually hit single digits. I didn't want to publish it, because I am not certain that it is around to stay. Since my mom is out of two for the next week and a half, I am staying at her house the next few days. Thus I am not getting my morning weigh-ins accomplished. I also am off of my routine and find that I eat poorer when my routine is thrown off. Last night I went out to dinner with Erin and her friends. We went to the Valentino's Buffet and even though I tried to make good choices, buffets just can't be healthy. Luckily, I didn't leave there stuffed, and that's a good thing.

This morning's Running Goal: 10k course
Accomplished: 6 miles in 1:14 (12:20 minute miles)
This morning Brandy and I attempted to run the actual course of our upcoming 10k. I had printed the course out, but it was hard-ish to read and remember. There are lots of turning through the neighborhoods and a park where you run in and turn around, but the map isn't real detailed. So we may not have run the actual course. None the less, it was extremely difficult. It was pretty humid out (I guess) because I was dripping with sweat before the first mile was over. I wanted to quit several times, and most of the race was uphill, without a lot of downhill rewards. Luckily (I think) the first half was more uphill than the second half and I just kept plucking along. Eventually we were done. We only went about six miles, apparently we turned around to soon to get the extra .2 miles. It felt like the run took forever, but 1:14 wasn't too bad. Although my ultimate goal is to just finish the race, I would really like to do it in 12 minute miles, and be done in just a little over 1:12! I am thinking that race day could be just as humid as today so I either need to get a headband to catch my dripping sweat or bring a towel. Pray for good weather! I can't believe that it is just two weeks away.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Two weeks away! That's crazy...where does time go? At least you know you can do it. You've pretty much done it already. I am so proud of you! Maybe once I get a few more weeks of morning runs we can run together! I know for sure I couldn't make it 6 miles right now!

Unknown said...

By now the race is barely over a week away. I'm sure you can do it - you can do so much more than you think you can. I might be willing to do some running with you if you make a shorter run a part of your weekly workout once this race is over. I have always thought running is a good workout, I just hate it on a treadmill, and it is still great weather for outside runs, so I would be game - if you can put up with my slowness that is.