my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

One Step Back

Today's Running Goal: 3 miles or no Margaritas tonight
Accomplished: 1 mile in 12:03
I think that my body was trying to tell me something. From the very first step my legs felt like lead, my stomach was upset and my breathing was off. I had to stop twice in that first mile just to recompose, so by the time I got to the mile mark, I wasn't about to put myself through another two of those. To top it all off, I didn't even do that mile very fast. Now I am deciding if after a light lunch and a nap if I should go out and try to do the other two. Or maybe I should be happy with the 30 minutes I put forth today (running one mile plus walking back) and let my body repair itself. However, I organized a Margarita gathering for Cinco de Mayo tonight and promised myself that it would be okay because I would burn enough calories before hand. Now it looks like I burned enough for five chips and a sip of a drink. I probably don't give myself enough days off though. I just ran five miles on Sunday and followed that with two hours of gym classes on Monday, plus 40 minutes of digging in my garden. But I can't just let myself eat the enchiladas and drink the yumminess when I made a deal with myself. Maybe I'll go try it on the trail instead of the hot Lincoln sidewalks. First, I will take a little nap...

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sometimes our bodies are smarter than our brain. If your body is telling you to stop, you should. Sometimes it need some rest before you push it again! I wish I was having a Margarita tonight! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

See I would never be able to talk myself out of the nap in order to start running. Who wants to run on their day off when they could nap instead? Only crazy people, obviously. Or at least people who are crazy about being healthy and active.