my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Yoga

I tried Yoga this morning. Not to brag but I felt like I was pretty good at it. Sure there were poses that were hard to get into and sure there were things I couldn't do for as long as people around me, but I was able to do most things pretty well, which is good for a first timer. All day though I was thinking how it was a little bit of a waste of time. If I am not burning 500 calories during a workout session then it just isn't worth my time. I have heard that Yoga lengthens your muscles and improves your balance and flexibility, but in my goals of weight loss and muscle building, I don't think this really fits into my plan. However, as the evening progresses I have found myself to be fairly sore in a few locations: my abs, my shoulders and my triceps. If I am working those muscles more or differently than I am working them in BodyPower, then maybe it is something that should be added to my routine. Now the only downside is the time and days of classes; eight o'clock is a little early to be up and at the gym on a Saturday. And it's very difficult to relax that early without falling asleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're at least willing to give it the 3 time try before you stop going. Too bad it isn't back-to-back with another class on a day when you aren't already taking 2 classes.

Karrie said...

Well, it is if I start going to Cardio Blast on Saturday morning, which might be what I have to do. Cause I don't know what I would do with myself on Saturday morning at 9:00 when I've already gotten my workout done.

And besides, we used to take one class at a time. Once you're not using a punch what does it matter? Just that now we've become hard-core?