my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Miraculous Hannah

Today's Running Goal: 3 miles
Accomplished: 3 miles in 36:41
Excellent! As I mentioned, I had to work today and the gym is closed all hours that I am not at the library. After a long day, of doing several projects and helping most of the people, I headed to my mom's at 8:00 to run with Hannah. When I got there she was pretty worn out; not her usual hyper self. I was pretty worn out too. And I was thinking of any way I could get out of it. But I had promised her, and you just don't break a promise to a dog! So we started out. It was perfect. I didn't have any pain. I was sweating, but the wind was drying it, without being so windy we blew over. She kept up for the whole three miles, and at some points was encouraging me to go faster to keep up with her. I did it in just over 12 minutes per mile, which is fine time. I probably could have kept going. Why is it so much easier with her? It's not just that it's outside, because it's dark and there's not much to see except house after house passing us. But for some reason I spend my time making sure she's okay, and keeping her on the right side of me, ensuring that we don't get hit by cars and the time just flies by, as do the miles. I am going to make sure to do all my Sunday runs with her from now on. Now, if they would just let her into the race as well! Next week my runs will be: 2.5 miles, 2 miles, 3.5 miles.

I got over seven hours of workout time in this week. I do think that if I am going to continue to count Yoga, I may have to aim for eight hours. I do feel it in my shoulder/upper arms today quite a bit, but that is it. And I do notice that I am able to reach a little further than I could the first week, and balance a little better. But it's not giving me the weight loss potential that I need.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Great job keeping working towards your goal! You just need to bring Hannah to the race and you could probably do a half marathon. Or I guess you could just keep training with her so you're ready for your solo race. But it's worth looking into some kind of backing from an animal loving group to allow dogs in the races.