my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Had A Plan

Friday night I had a plan to go to the gym after work. It would be my first experience at Goodyear using their cardio equipment. I used the women's cardio room because I am most familiar with that. It was so boring. I was the only one in the room. I could turn the TV to anything I wanted. I used all of the equipment, all of it was old and low-tech. I could not occupy my time, everything dragged on. I had wanted to run for a while, but I never worked up to that. I stayed for 30 minutes and then absolutely had to leave. I was pretty upset because if I can't stay at the gym for more than 30 minutes I am never going to get my seven hours done. My mom says a room where you are alone sounds perfect to her, but for some reason I like to see other people working out to motivate me. And I like to people watch.

This afternoon I went back, and made myself use the real workout room where everyone else workout (still only four people), and the one where you are "allowed" to run on the treadmills (yes there is a room where you can't). It was so much better. There were people walking by constantly. There were windows in the room which made it a much happier place. Sure some lady had on the weather channel, but it didn't matter because I had my IPod to keep me company. Until Vern showed up. He's become our new friend. He takes classes with us on Monday and Wednesday and has always been friendly. Then last week he showed up at the library and was quite surprised that both Erin and I worked there. Now he thinks that we're friends. So when I saw him there today, I waved across the room. When a treadmill opened up next to mine he moved over. However, my plan was to run a mile, walk .25, run a mile, etc... but during my second walk break he began talking to me and I felt rude stopping to run. I can't run and talk at the same time; I have to have music. I still got two miles run and almost 4 miles logged during the hour I was there. And now I have a new friend. Don't get too excited though... he is fifty-ish and married!

Including that Yoga class I have accomplished seven hours of gym time this week. This makes three weeks in a row. Yay! The scale hasn't been on my side though. I hope now that I am involved in a challenge, and have been watching what I eat, the scale will start to work with me as well.

2 comments:

Jen said...

great job making 7 hours. I feel good if I make 4! I know I haven't updated my blog but I'm taking this class that is asking me to read 6 books in 3 weeks along with a buttload of homework... It is Young Adult lit, so you would like it... Maybe we can discuss some books when I'm done with the class!

Anonymous said...

How come you didn't mention the women in the library (or whatever he has named it) calendar Vern thinks you should make? Maybe that makes him sound creepy when he really isn't. I mean I am inagining a calendar of you guys in the library, fully clothed of course - at least that's my innocent take on it. Anyway, probably if he works out near you more often, he'll have other things to talk about.