my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beautiful Day, Beautiful Run

I finally got a day off and decided to use the nice weather to enjoy an outdoor workout. I am starting over on my running plan. I have 10 weeks until the Havelock 10k; it's about time to get serious. I have to go from running 2 miles (maybe 3) to running six in 10 weeks. I wonder if that is possible. Megan keeps reminding me that it's not about running all six miles, it's about crossing the finish line. But, I think she's wrong. When I made the goal to run a 10k, I meant precisely that: to RUN the 10k. I'm not saying that I can't take a couple seconds to breathe here and there, but I don't want to have entire song walk-breaks. Anyway, I have adapted some online runner's 8-week 8k workout into a 10-week 10k workout and I am ready to commit to it and make myself run what it says on the schedule. I think it helps that it isn't some arbitrary chart that I made myself, but instead some professional runner's log. In this new plan, Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays are running days and it begins like this:

Week One: 2 miles, 2 miles, 2.5 miles
Week Two: 2.5 miles, 2 miles, 3 miles
Week Three: 2.5 miles, 2 miles, 3.5 miles
Week Four: 2.5 miles, 2 miles, 4 miles
Week Five: 3 miles, 2 miles, 4 miles

Today's Running Goal: Two miles
Accomplished: Two miles in 25 minutes.
Pretty good time, even though I wasn't working on that. I was running outside, which allowed me to concentrate on something other than the numbers on the treadmill. I also think that my IPod isn't calibrated quite right. I might have run 2.25 miles actually. Which makes the time seem super-great. Not to get too optimistic; it was very difficult and I had a pain in my side most of the second mile. But if I was running faster than normal, I suppose that is explains that. I am glad that there is another two mile run this week before I have to bump it up to 2.5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dave! Keep up the good work! Even though I can't understand why you would want to torture yourself with running, I am glad that you are accomplishing goals. Maybe I'll come with you on one of your short days in the future - although you may leave me in the dust if you actually run the entire thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jennifer, you shouldn't put things like that in writing. I will hold you to it!!!