my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Marika = Jillian

I have compared my new gym instructor or Jillian, my favorite Biggest Loser trainer several times. But last night takes the cake. And those of you who hate being yelled at and hate Jillian are going to hate Marika even more, but I have grown to love her. I know... you would have guessed it. Imagine you are 40 minutes into a high-intensity Kickboxing workout, and you can barely see because sweat is dripping in your eyes. The last song comes on, and you have no energy even though Marika has ensured you that this is the last song and then we can stretch. You haven't had any water for 20 minutes because she prides herself on not having any breaks. The song begins and you find yourself doing the speedbag routine even though you don't think your arms will stay in the air. When all of a sudden you hear Marika shout: We're all finishing this together, I don't care if you have to DRAG yourself across the finish line! How refreshing! I got my arms up higher, I punched harder and I powered through to the finish line. But I may not have made it without Marika. I need that kick, the push, that scream. Let's face it: I'm lazy on my own!

I'm taking today off from working out. I have tomorrow off from work, so I will get my 2 mile run in then. Today my body and my mind needs to rest. And it needs to see Missouri beat Memphis!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I tried to do this before and it didn't work,but now I can't disagree with the game outcome anymore.
But I do wonder if you like marika because of jillian or if you like jillian more because you have had marika. Just a thought.