my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, October 31, 2008

Shoe Lust

Recently I have been wanting new running shoes. Or perhaps running shoes is too narrow of request. I just want new gym shoes. My running shoes are still newish. I have run about 150 miles in them, and I have read the running shoes should last 300-400 miles. Luckily my Nike plus account keeps track of how many miles I have gone in those shoes. My "regular" gym shoes, the ones I wear for kickboxing and weight lifting and walking on the treadmill, now those are going on 1.5 years old. And even though I love them, and they might be the best athletic shoes I have ever owned, and Curtis bought them for me, it might be time to get a new pair. Still, I have about 2 pairs of gym shoes in my closet that are perfectly fine, and I really should wear out a little before I get a new pair. And I don't have any money to spend on new shoes. (Remember the budget diet? It's going well, but it's very restrictive.) So lately I have developed shoe lust. I am in love with all running shoes. Everywhere I go I look at what shoes people are wearing and am jealous of them. The gym is a horrible place to have shoe lust because most people have expensive, beautifully white shoes. But now it has transferred over to normal people on the street or customers at work. I see people with great shoes, and I want to say: where did you get those? Where can I get a great pair like that? I like all althletic shoes, even shoes that I would never buy for myself end up looking great on other people. Here's a little something I wrote to let my feelings out...

An Ode to Shoes
Shoes, staring at me, wanting to go home with me.
So many pairs, squeaky new.
Without scuffs, without scars.
Helping me run faster; jump higher; kick harder.
Giving me a reason to get out the door; out of bed; to the gym.
Making me happy every time I look down.
Staring from other people's feet; mocking my foot size; my income; my desire.
Complementing my perfect feet; my toes; my outfit.
Oh how I love shoes!
Why must you hate me; taunt me; love me so?

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love your ode to shoes. Which is how I sometimes feel about shoes, always jealous of what people have that I can't have and even if it came in my size how silly and boat-like they would look!

Anonymous said...

Maybe once you've bought the car you're saving for, you'll be able to buy shoes a little more regularly again. Or if you get some other job that pays more. Or if you win the lottery - all good options to help support your shoe addiction.