my journey to becoming a runner

Friday, October 24, 2008

Pizza Should Help

Today's Running Goal: 2.25 miles at 5.0mph
Completed: 1 mile (maybe!)
Failure again. It wasn't hot in the gym. I wasn't tired from working all day. I didn't have music or headphone issues. I just had no hope of pushing through. The idea of running 27 minutes really daunted me. Even after 10 minutes, seventeen more was way too many to conquer. So I let myself quit. Then I walked uphill for a while. I even threw in a few minute-runs up the incline. But I had to leave the gym after about 30 minutes because I thought I had lunch plans at noon. My uncle and his friend from California are in town visiting and we are supposed to go to Valentino's for lunch. Because all out-of-towners love pizza. Turns out that it is now 12:30 and I am still waiting to hear when they will be in town and I'll be able to eat. You know what my biggest pet-peeve is? And I mean BIGGEST!? Catering my life around someone else's time-table only to have them disappoint me. For instance: I got out of bed, made myself go to the gym, cut my workout short, only to get home and wait around for the the plan-makers to change the plans. I could have stayed at the gym for a whole hour, or slept longer, or eaten breakfast, or something. Ugh!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

That is really frustrating. I have always felt that lateness = disrespect. I feel like my time is not respected by the person when they show up when they want. Especially when they don't call to inform you why they are late and estimate a new time. I could go on but I won't. This must be why I don't have a ton of friends!

Anonymous said...

See, that's why I'm not a runner. I give up too easily when my brain is saying 'what the hell are you doing to me, do you really expect me to keep this up for 27 more minutes?' I don't have the whole mental part of working out figured out, maybe if I did I wouldn't hate running so much.