my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Back to Good

The good news is: I only gained three pounds while on vacation. And if you would have seen all the crap we shoved in our faces, you'd be amazed too. How come vacations always revolve around eating? And imagine a sixteen hour car ride. You eat even though you aren't hungry. It's just what there is to do between listening to books on CD, filling up the gas tank, reading magazines, and sleeping. And besides that 5k, I didn't do any exercising in Atlanta. Amy's gym cost $10 per guest, which was just ridiculous. And though I wanted to go running in this beautiful park across the street from Amy's house, my non-running friends (Jennifer and Amy) quickly put the kibosh on that idea. The bad news is: I still have seventeen pounds that I would like to lose and it just seems impossible. Have I been at seventeen pounds for like five months now or what?

So now that my vacation is over, it is time for me to get back on track. I am excited to get back to body power this evening. I haven't actually developed a routine since the classes got back to normal. I am ready to get my muscles in peek shape and not be sore all the time. I have also made a new running plan. It's a ten-week plan that leads right up to Christmas. (Don't fret ladies, but Christmas is just ten weeks away.) Basically I will be continuing my 5k runs twice a week increasing the running speed each week, but still allowing me to take two walk breaks. Another time each week I am going to work on distance instead, and running further each time. By Christmas I should be able to do 4.5 miles without stopping (slowly) and run a 5k in record time (34 minutes?). The problem is I have nothing to train for and that makes me sad. There's nothing like a goal to get me excited. But anything more than ten weeks away is too long-term for me.

No comments: