my journey to becoming a runner

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Worst Thing Ever

I was prepared for this. I had an eight-week training plan. I only missed ten training days, and a lot of that had to do with the fact they took my weight class away two weeks in. Even if I couldn't make the 37 minutes which was my goal, I knew that I would beat my last time of 39:50. I knew I could do this. I slept well. I ate a banana. I was at the starting line when the "go" was announced. Then I met the Atlanta hills. I couldn't do them. I basically collapsed under them. They were too steep to run down, definitely too steep to run up. I had to walk way more than usual. I wanted to cry. My final time was 40:10. That's horrible. The first time I ever ran a 5k I did it in 41 minutes. I feel like I shouldn't have even bothered. I am hugely disappointed. On an uplifting note: even the fasted guy ran it in 18 something -- three minutes slower than the fastest guy in Lincoln ran our last race. Therefore the fact that I was three minutes slower as well, means at least I can handle the hills as well as the fastest guy! Photos will come, once I get to my own computer!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hills are a bitch. I don't run them ever. In fact I haven't ran since last week before we dress shopped. Now I am sick and my head feels like it weighs a hundred pounds, and other than a long walk Thursday night, I haven't been to the gym since Tuesday! Hope you're having fun in Atlanta!