my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One Year Ago Today

Just one year ago today I ran my first 5k. In May of 2007 I decided that I wanted to be able to run two miles. So I set up some training plan and got there. I began by running a few minutes and then walking a few minutes because that is what all the beginners guide to running tell you do to. Eventually I was running 2 miles and wanting to kill myself, yet I was very proud of my accomplishments. Then somewhere along the way I decided to run a 5k. I don't remember now if this was Curtis's idea. Or if Jen suggested it. Or if I read about it somewhere and thought that it sounded like a lofty goal. But I accomplished it. My only hope was that I would finish it. And although I did have to take a couple breathing breaks/tie my shoes break, I was very proud of myself for achieving something I never thought I would be able to do.

Now it is one year later... and how oh so far I have come. If I was in a more optimistic mood right now I would list those accomplishments here. But as it is, I have been in a funk lately and will just leave it at that. Which brings me to...
Today's Running Goal: Practice 5k at 5.1 mph plus walk breaks
Completed: 2.5k and then nothing
I failed. I had several problems with my run and the least of these were the fact that it was 110 degrees in the gym. So after I ran the first half and took my first walking break I just could not start again. So I let myself quit. The strangest thing is that I had done this run before. This was no faster or longer than I had run in the past. What went wrong? Then I biked for a while which was also difficult and sweat-inducing. Then I went home and celebrated with a warm mug of cocoa!

2 comments:

Jen said...

One thing I've learned is that there are too many things that factor in to a run. I've had days where one day 5 miles is a cinch and the next I could barely make three. I stopped trying to understand why and instead began to understand that it happens to everyone. It doesn't mean you failed but that last night just wasn't the right night for you to run. Great job on not just quitting and leaving the gym but moving on to something else instead!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for the list of accomplishments - maybe writing them will help raise your mood. Anyway, you've not only finished 1 5K, you've done 2 more, and one that was a hilly bitch. Way to go on reaching your goals and always having new ones to achieve!

And about your run last night, at least you were doing it... unlike me who is a gym loser.