my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What is this? Step Class?

I was feeling a little down about kickboxing/power last night because I always end up going alone. And although I enjoy working out and realize that I don't need anyone to go with me, it's hard to go to two hours of gym time alone when I had the whole day off and didn't talk to anyone there either. It's a solitary existence that I live. But anyway, I made myself go by reminding myself how much I loved kickboxing and how disappointed I would be if I let myself skip one session. The first thing Katie asked us is: How many of you have been eating Halloween candy this week? Well I haven't been, because I don't buy chocolate, I don't crave chocolate, just Doritos. But lots of people nodded their heads and complained about how they couldn't leave it alone and how they were going to have to buy a new bag before the trick-or-treaters came by on Friday. (I just thought about how I want to go to a vineyard on Friday and get drunk...) Then Katie said she had a special surprise for us the last 15 minutes of class, to really get those Halloween candies blasted off of our body. Great. I do not like surprises. Turns out, we used the step (with a riser) to do some sort of lame kickboxing/step class routine. I don't do step class. I don't do peppy cheerleading crap. I don't hurl my body over an unstable bench with my arms in the air. I don't lift my knees unless they are crushing someone's skull in. Needless to say, the surprise was bad. And it made me want to go buy a bag of Halloween candy. I won't even go into the part where we laid on the bench (like a bodyboard) and fluttered our legs and arms and then jumped up like we were surfing. And then did about 100 squats.

When it was time for Body Power, I was in an even worse mood and not feeling like staying. But then Erin's friend Lisa came in. (My friend Lisa I should say.) Boy that made me happy. It's not like we really talked at all. But it was nice to see a friendly face and have someone stand beside me. Nobody really likes me at the new gym. Or maybe it's me who doesn't really like anyone else. So I didn't increase my squat weight like I had previously planned (see note above regarding 100 squats on surfboard type step). I stayed high on everything else and I sure can feel it today.

I had planned on going running this evening at the gym. But I had to meet my mom and aunt for dinner. Then we sat around chatting. Now it is 8:30 and I haven't gone yet. I am thinking I will give myself a break today. Besides, I still haven't eaten any Halloween candy this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew you were more of an ass kicker than a dancing queen. Or is dancing queen a completely different title than cheerleader? I guess they are quite a bit different. I haven't really had any halloween candy yet either, but I did buy some for the trick-or-treaters that I won't have on Friday, so I'm sure I will eat some eventually. Or maybe I should give like a whole bag to each of the 3 kids who come by my house. Of course Alexis and Logan don't really even eat chocolate, which is what I bought because that's what I like leftover. Maybe that's my biggest problem - I should buy things I don't like and then I would never eat it. Oh well, guess I messed that one up. Anyway, glad I could finally make it to both classes last night, and apparently we've agreed to do spinning at like dawn on Saturday, so that should be fun too.