my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, October 16, 2008

I forgot to believe

When I got home from the gym this evening I wrote the following: The Red Sox didn't make it to the World Series this year, but they did get me to the gym for an hour and a half after work. I left the gym when the Red Sox were down 7-0 in the seventh inning. Then I raced home and glued myself to the foxsports live gamecast so I could watch the last three innings. Boy was I wrong. They came back; they won; they are still alive! And they still got me to the gym! Even though Thursday is my long day (10 hours) and I usually don't make myself go to the gym after all that. But after spending only 40 minutes of the last week working out, I knew that I had to get some workout time in. And it helped that the Red Sox game was playing only on TBS, which I don't get at home. So my only options were to go to a bar and watch the game, thus eating a large amount of fried food, or go to the gym and burn off calories while I watched. From now on, I promise to believe.

Tonight was the first time in a long while that I have been to the gym and didn't run. Well, I mean to Gold's, because of course I do other things when I go for the classes. This evening I walked hills for 45 minutes and then I went over to the bikes for 45. I got a good workout on both. I have been pretty sore all day from Body Power yesterday. So any walking or biking felt like I was working really hard. Now I am happy for the Red Sox win, happy because I got 90 minutes of sweat-time in and am wrapped up in my electric blanket!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it makes me sad when you call it body power because I'm just reminded how they stole our classes from us

I can't believe a red sox fan would ever give up before it was officially over - maybe you're not as big of a fan as I thought.

Karrie said...

Perhaps I exagerated my giving up. What I meant is I left the gym, assuming they had lost. But, I did point out that I raced home (using the extra long seventh-inning stretch to get there) and got on the internet asap. That's the most I could do, besides going over to Legends to sit by myself. I mean, I couldn't stay at the gym from 8-10:30 when it was really over anyway. And, I waited to post my blog until the last swing... I must have had some deep belief that they wouldn't disappoint!