my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Last Try

Today's Running Goal: Last Practice 5k at 5.2 mph (11:30 minute miles) + walking breaks + sprint to the finish line.
What I did: 5k in 37:46 (12:10 minute miles)

I had a lot of nervous energy today because I was anticipating my vacation. On the other hand I worked really hard at work (two people called in sick) and I had a lot to get ready before I left. Still, I was determined to accomplish this running goal, because it was the last chance I would have to practice. I understand that running that fast once is not going to make it any easier to run that fast in the long-term. The idea is more about pacing. If I know that I have run that fast (just once) and made it to the end, then I will know on race day that I can push myself that much. Otherwise, I will let myself slow down because I will be worried about making it to the end. Even though I accomplished my goal today, it just isn't fast enough. I am pretty sure I won't be able to shave 46 second off of my time even with the momentum of the race. I was pushing myself super-hard. And I sprinted faster than I ever have in my life to try and come in under 37 minutes. It was more difficult than normal because I haven't run in almost two weeks. My cold kept me from getting to the gym late last week. And this week I have only taken classes. Still, I know that 45 minutes of kick-ass kickboxing teaches my lungs to hold oxygen just as well as running. And the weight lifting has to be helping my leg muscles to push off harder. If I just had about three more weeks, I might have been able to do it. Or if I could convince myself (and Jennifer) that we didn't need the two walking breaks. But, oh how I do.

I am getting nervous, and getting antsy to leave. I guess I'd better pack. I will keep you guys updated. They do have Internet in Georgia right?

No comments: