my journey to becoming a runner

Monday, September 1, 2008

Planets Align

There's something special about the start of a new month. It's a fresh start, a clean slate. The same can be said every Monday when a new week begins, and I have the opportunity to do great things with my life. So when the two phenomena align, it is truly something magical. On top of all of this, Labor Day marks the beginning of Fall. I still see fall and school starting as more of a beginning and fresh start than I see New Year's Day. It probably has something to do with my love of new pencils and blank notebooks!

So I am feeling great today. I am beginning with 18 pounds left to lose. (I even lost two pounds in the last week of eating out.) I am committing to eating 1300 calories a day, and working out six-seven hours per week. I plan on having a big loss this first week, since I will be limiting my calories again after several weeks of eating whatever I please.

I started out my new life at the gym this morning. On today's agenda: a 5k at a 4.7 mph rate. Nothing impossible, that 12:45 mile felt really comfortable to me. I took a couple of walk/drink/sweat wiping breaks and ended the last 300 meters in a sprint of 9:30 miles. I haven't noticed an improvment in my regular running since doing the speed/hill intervals, but I definatly notice that I can sprint for a few minutes a lot easier than I used to be able to. Perhaps I should give up my dream of 5k running and switch to sprinting. Maybe I could become really good at that. Anyway, I accomplished today's goal! I am back on track, and it's going to be great!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yay for weight loss!! And way to do the run, even if it was a slower pace than what you'd like. Speed will come. I think I got faster by running the last few minutes harder every time I ran. I'm still trying to do that, but I don't know if it's working this time yet.... I'll let you know when I do.

Anonymous said...

I think your actual speed is way less important than just completing your goals and improving. Isn't this whole training session for the upcoming 5k? As long as you do a little bit better than last time, you're still doing great! Even though it can be frustrating to work at something and only see small steps forward as a result of your efforts.