my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hobbling Along

With my toe hurting a lot Tuesday night (after working a whole day in pain) I didn't want to shove on a shoe and head to the gym. So I devised my own weight circuit. My plan was to alternate lifting 5-pound hand weights (10 reps of most things) with jumping 30 times with a jump rope. All without shoes on! Jumping sure is hard. The weight lifting part was easy, and I'm sure that I didn't fatigue my muscles at all. In fact, I only did one set of all my muscles, but I was tired of jumping rope; it was starting to hurt my shins. In the future I might try jumping only 20 times or 15 and adding two more sets, so at least I am using each of my muscles a lot.

I took Wednesday off from the gym, because I worked a 10-hour day. Beginning Tuesday, my library has started closing at 8 o'clock. This is a huge change. After working until 9:00 at least once a week (and usually twice) for seven years, getting done at eight is a whole new world. There is still life when I emerge from the library. I could easily go to dinner with someone, do some shopping or hit the gym. Last night, I just watched the Republican Convention, but I can hope to improve.

Tonight I have plans to go to the gym as soon as I am done with a light dinner. I am going to do speed intervals, seeing if I can increase my running to 10.5-minute miles and do at least 10 of them. I want to use that AMT machine again. I am just sure it was that machine that made my calves sore. And you all know my eternal struggle with my calves. Then I need to use the weight room. I either need to make myself stay there for a while, or increase my weights so I can hardly move them. Monday, I plan on heading to Goodyear to try out their Power Pump class. I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

Jen said...

The 12th would be good for me... Friday night right? Don works until 10 anyway, so we can hang out at the house or do whatever! Let me know!