my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ten Reasons

Being on this ambitious kick, I awoke at 7am and was planning to meet Jennifer at the circle so that we could go up to 84th street and run the hill for a half an hour. We did! The following is a list of ten reasons why, even though I made it up there, I went home after doing it just two times:
1. It was raining, and I don't do rain.
2. It was so super-windy that I couldn't keep my eyes open as I was running.
3. Yesterday, while buying groceries at Hy-Vee I cut open my big toe (I won't go into the details about how I was bleeding everywhere and had to throw a hissy-fit until someone got me a paper towel to soak up the blood) and since I was still bleeding this morning, I had to wrap my toe in a lot of band-aids in order to get my running shoe on.
4. And even if I could look past all the pain in my toe, all those band-aids and tape made it hard to walk right, let alone run.
5. For some reason I was totally out of breath half way down the hill (Jennifer blames the head-on winds). I actually had to stop going down the hill. Usually it is my legs that give out way before my lungs.
6. I had zero energy, even though I got 8 hours of sleep. I now believe that when your body has an open wound, it takes all your energy to repair that, and therefore, I had none left to propel my body down a hill.
7. I had a major wedgie, and that is just something you can't fix on 84th Street.
8. In rush hour!
9. I wore shorts and a t-shirt, and it was about 60 degrees out. Did I mention the rain?
10. And the final reason I quit running this morning: it just wasn't any fun.

So this evening I will make myself go to the gym. I had planned on just doing some weight-work. But I might throw in a little running for kicks. My toe still hurts though. What if Hy-Vee has ruined my new-found sprinting career? Can I sue them for potential loss?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

About number 10..... I want to know just when running is EVER fun - maybe I'm missing the run-loving gene or something, but it has always been much less than fun for me, pretty much regardless of the situation.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too... but when I don't have 9 other factors telling me to STOP, then I can make it over the no fun hurdle. What is a little fun: going further or faster than you ever had before, and knowing that you are a superstar!

Anonymous said...

maybe I'm not a superstar yet.... although I did dream last night that I ran a 5K in like 24 minutes, which is pretty much impossible. But apparently deep down I am a runner, I just let my brain get in the way - - or something.