my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Oh Yeah, That

When I said I was going to have a great first week, I forgot that I had to spend the weekend at my Grandma's. My Aunt from Utah was visiting, so I spent Friday evening through Sunday having family time (read: eating and playing cards) in Columbus. How many kinds of cake do you think one family can keep in the house? If you said four you're right! There was apple cake, white cake, coffee cake, and chocolate cake. That doesn't even account for the cookies, cinnamon rolls, bags and bags of chips, and loads of dip that were being served. I tried to stay on the path of good eating as much as possible (I only had two pieces of cake and one cinnamon roll for the whole weekend) but it was difficult at times.

My dad has a golden retriever (Jeannie) that he never takes on walks. Probably due to the fact that my dad hardly does any exercise himself. But I was determined to make working out part of my weekend. So Saturday I took her out for a test drive. First we walked about a mile, which was mostly her pulling me down the road. Then we did a little jogging, just to see if she would keep up or keep stopping to smell things. She did pretty well. So today, I took her out for a 2.3 mile run. My goal was all 3.1 miles today, but she was so tired after those two miles that I had to take her home. Not bad for a dog that hasn't gone running once in her life, well except when she gets out of her kennel. I had assumed that we would just have to run around the lake, and by that I mean: in the street that is in front of the houses that back up to the lake (no scenery). But it turns out my dad lives less than a quarter of a mile from the Platte river, who knew? There was a beautiful trail along a dike right above the river. It was so perfect to run up and down; I wish I had a nature trail close to my house, rather than a busy street trail! I am almost considering driving up there more often just to use his dog and his beautiful nature walk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could drive somewhere for a nature trail - like start at the little station on 84th street, or once they finish that sidewalk you can go through that park again. I'm sure there are trails by holmes lake too.

Karrie said...

I'm a little scared of the nature trail at 84th street... it is so remote. I could be killed. It also makes me feel safer with a dog. You know I am dog sitting for my mom this week -- are they allowed on our city trails?