my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sweet Emotions

I have heard that the hormones (serotonin) released when you work out are just as strong as any anti-depressant. And I do believe that is true. Generally working out puts me in a much better mood and when I work out consitently I am a happier person. Lately though, I have been too depressed to make it to the gym. I don't want to go alone (which is why I didn't go Monday or Wednesday evening). I forced myself to go work out tonight alone, but only stayed for 40 minutes, before I had to leave. Lately, I have just been sad and I don't know why; why now? Walking for an hour only gives me time to think and thinking just leads to panic attacks.

The weekend should be better -- it's supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees on Saturday. Perhaps it's just the rain that is making me sad. I have plans to go to Bodypump on Saturday morning with a group of people. I intend to stay after to get some cardio in. Then I might try to hit BodyPump again on Sunday. I hate to go two days in a row, but it's the only way I can get my three weight lifting sessions in this week. And weight lifting is something that makes me happy and doesn't give me time to think.

3 comments:

BrandyGirl said...

I know just how you're feeling. I know I feel better after a workout, but I can't get there on my own anymore. Then I only feel worse about not going. I don't know why I feel down either. We have got to get together! (At the gym or otherwise.) This Saturday E has a soccer game at 1pm. You and Jeffy should come if you can make it. Give me a call. I'll try to be a body pump at Sat. I need a kick start!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I can only seem to get myself to the gym when I go with someone. And there's been too much other activity at home lately, so I can't work out there either. I wish I could have gone with you to the gym last night. Call me whenever you want to go.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of waiting for Spring. I think everyone will be better once the weather is nicer and it's not cold all the time. It seems like we might be finally getting to warmer weather and that means it will be sunny and we can go to lakes and have big man volleyball tournaments and lots of other fun stuff. Besides that, the Vitamin D of sunlight is supposed to boost your mood too.