my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

6:00 in the Morning

There is something very serene about waking up at 5:30am. As I drove to the gym this morning for BodyPump, only one house in my neighborhood had any lights on. I began to feel very lonely. I was nearly the only person on the street the entire way there. Then, as I turned the corner into the gym, there were lights everywhere, all this energy, and the parking lot was half full. Even though, I was still half asleep and standing there hoisting a heavy bar over my head, there is a certain energy from knowing that all these people got up early to do something good with you! I didn't attempt any extra weight this morning -- getting there was challenge enough. In fact, I even lowered my weight on back because she said there were four clean and presses in a row. I hate those. Turns out, I should have stuck to my higher weight, because it was way too easy. It's amazing how much of a difference there is between adding on a small weight and adding on a medium one.

As I have mentioned before, it is a nice feeling to know that I have my gym-going over for the day. After the gym I was able to come home and take a 2 hour nap (to make up for the lack of sleep I got getting up so early). Even after that, I was able to wake up and get ready for work leisurely. Sometimes I enjoy working 12-9. I would say that I definitely eat less with that work schedule. Last night at the Spelling Bee, I did let myself indulge and eat the fries. But, I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich no cheese and I drank water... so you give and you take! I still came in at around 1300 calories for the day. And this morning I saw my lowest weight ever, but I won't tell you what it was. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up!

2 comments:

BrandyGirl said...

I am glad you and Erin were there! It's kind of nice to make that early (on occasion). I am going to aim to get there early on Friday, but prob won't stay for BP-I'll save that for Sat am. Keep up the great work! Spring is around the corner and we'll all have to hit the trails together on our bikes or something. We could always practice soccer with E if we're looking for a change. ;)

Unknown said...

My drive to work at 9:15 is pretty serene too, compared to when I go to work earlier than that and it takes me twice as long. You may not have been able to talk me into a 6am body pump, but I guess I'll be at the gym tomorrow night, oficially, after our book group meeting - unless of course I'm covered in slime or something.