my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Gold Medal Workouts

I made it to the gym last night for Dancing with the Stars. I made myself run during all the dancing; I figure if I am watching other people sweat I should be sweating too. Turns out, that's not as hard as it seems. They dance for like 2 minutes and then they are done. So I let myself walk small hills when the scoring/practice portion was on, and steep hills when the commercials were on. The time just flew by. Oh, and who knew that the show was an hour and a half. But I stayed for the whole thing. I just had to see Kristi Yamaguchi. She was all-time hero as a fourteen-year-old girl. There was nothing I wanted to be more than a figure-skater. I would make up routines and dance around my kitchen floor (with my socks on, for better sliding). I would watch whatever skating competition she was in, and when she took home the gold medal, I was right there by her side! So, I just had to see her do some Latin dancing. It was a great workout.

This evening I made it to BodyPump. Remember, my goal for the evening was increasing my bicep weight. This is going to be a challenge. It was soooo hard. Not like: ow that was hard; not even like: I don't know if I can finish; more like: I think my arm has locked up and may fall off. But I think I just need to push past this. I have not increased my bicep weight in two years. The only way to move up is this extreme pain for the next two weeks, by that point it might just move to the point of extreme difficulty. I wonder if I will be able to lift anything tomorrow. Otherwise, it was an excellent class. And I stayed after and did 30 minutes of cardio. I am now up to three hours for the week, and it's only Tuesday. Now I can take tomorrow off without feeling guilty. It will feel great to sleep in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're going to start ice skating as a workout??? I bet it would be a good one. Or maybe you should just pretend in your kitchen again... acting like a kid is generally a good way to workout and not even know it.

Karrie said...

I don't think that my kitchen is big enough, or I am bigger. There was something about my mom's kitchen - that had a circular shape to it, that made it appear larger. Therefore, I had more room to do spins and jumps. Man I must have driven my mother crazy.