my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Who Would Have Thought

Power Yoga is super-difficult. I have been to "regular" yoga four times now, so I figured I could take a chance at Power Yoga (which is a rapid pace race through all yoga positions, worrying more about cardio ability and muscle strength than balance and positions). It was a big mistake. First, let me state: I bought the car. I even had time to make it to BodyPower. So, as I walked into weight lifting, without first taking Kickboxing, for the first time in 9 months, I thought to myself: you can use heavy weights, because you're not already tired. Turns out, I've been hiding behind that excuse, and you can't just bust out big weights because you want to. My legs were shaking half-way through squats; I'm surprised I finished. I had a lot of trouble with the 8 low lunges, and had to take a break after 4 and then jump back in. So you can imagine how hard it was to place my entire body weight on my arms, or legs when they were already super weak. Today I feel like I was hit by a truck. There is not a place on me that doesn't ache (except maybe my ears). The worst part is, as I was feeling the soreness come on last night I thought about stretching. But Yoga is all about stretching, so how do you stretch out, when the ache is coming from too much stretching?

Still, because I truly believe that the best remedy for a sore body is more exercise, and getting oxygen to those body parts, I am taking Hannah running tonight. It should be a beautiful day, after so many non-beautiful ones. I'm heading over to my mom's house right after work to get my workout in. We're up to 3.5 miles tonight, which might be more than I have ever run, straight through. I can't remember if I ever made it there when I was training for my first 5k. Probably not, I was lucky to just finish the 3.1 at that time. So assuming I make it through, a record will be broken! Then Jennifer is making me a healthy dinner while we watch The Biggest Loser. Maybe we'll eat it in my new car!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

We practically ate lunch in your new car, so maybe we should have dinner in my house - whatever happened to your 'no food in my new car' rule? Out the window before you've owned the car even 24 hours?

I'm looking forward to classes tomorrow night. Have a great run tonight - I'll be doing loads of laundry, cooking dinner, and taping the Biggest Loser so we can watch it at 9.