my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

F for FAIL

Yesterday's Running Goal: 3.5 miles (the longest ever)
Accomplished: 2 miles
It was a beautiful evening. I had Hannah as a running partner. And everyone as their dog (literally) was outside. This made it very frustrating to run because every few blocks I had to avoid other animals, or kids on bikes, or old people shuffling along. Then after a mile an a half I had a ovary pain so bad I had to stop and walk a while. On top of that, I was so so so sore from Yoga/BodyPower yesterday that every step hurt. What was I thinking increasing my weights and taking a new class the day before my longest run of all time. I finished the two miles, but told myself I could have a do-over for this week. I was already a run behind. This week is shaping up to be so busy I probably won't have time to get three, let alone four, runs in. I have a little spare time in my ten-week running plan, so I am just doing four over again. I also know that there is some kind of mental block that is not allowing me to get past three miles. Anything above that seems endless. I tell myself that speed doesn't matter as long as I am running. I could be shuffling as fast as those old people, I just need to keep on tuckin'. I will make it. Sure I failed. But that is how we learn. Don't run right after work, when everyone else is outside. Don't do so many squats the day before. Don't have to get home to vote, so you need to hurry to complete the run. Perhaps it's running in the dark that I enjoy, and it isn't running with Hannah at all!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Don't they say that the hardest part of a run is the first 3 miles? Guess that means you're about at the peak, and as soon as you can cross over that 3 mile mark you can apparently run forever! Let me know how that works for you... I have my doubts. But, I think repeating week 4 is probably a good idea. It's impossible to plan an exact list of workouts and not allow for a few changes along the way. Better luck next week!