my journey to becoming a runner

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Running in the AM

This morning's running goal: 2 miles
Accomplished: 2 miles in 24:08
YAY! It was windy, and almost sprinkling once. But I dragged myself out of bed at 7am this morning and took Hannah for a two mile run. It was very difficult. First, the wind was so gusty and I have a hard time breathing in high winds. Something about it sucking all the oxygen from your body. Next, we chose a different route this morning because I wanted to avoid the heavy traffic that I expected the main street to have in the morning. The new route was much more hilly. So I run fast down the hill, get tired, and can hardly make it back up. Did I mention the wind? Also, Hannah wasn't on her best running behavior. She was smelling lots of things, going back and forth on the sidewalk, and over all not being the great partner I know she can be. Finally, it was 7:30 in the morning. Nothing I do that early is ever easy. Still, I made excellent time. I appear to be getting faster, at least on my shorter runs. If I can maintain that 12-minute-mile pace for the 10k, it won't take me nearly as long to complete. Seventy-two minutes seems a lot easier than seventy-eight! Now I am tired. I just have to make it through eleven hours of work! Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Good luck! And I am impressed at you dedication and getting up early to get your workout in before a long day at work. Way to be!

Karrie said...

Thanks! And thanks for commenting. I am begining to feel like nobody reads this anymore. If I am just writing for myself I might as well have it password protected!

Jennifer said...

Ok, ok, sorry I haven't commented in a while - I have actually had a job for a while....

Nice job sticking with it! And it's good that you can see imporvements that keep you motivated, even though small setbacks or runs that didn't go so well. I still would be up for morning runs - especially if the weather is nice - assuming I can peel myself out of my bed, which is where I would need your help. And we could always bike to Brenda's and take a bike ride with the kids some evening, although I'm not sure when that would be - maybe it would have to be a Saturday afternoon or something.

Karrie said...

Jennifer, I would have to come over to your house and pour a bucket of water on you to actually get you out of bed at 7am. And then, you'd be mad at me and refuse to go. That's why I quit trying to work out with you in the morning unless you call me.

I prefer Hannah, who waits for me to say "okay, lets get up" before jumping out of bed for the day.