my journey to becoming a runner

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Speed Racer

Today's Running Goal: 3 miles
Accomplished: 3 miles in 36:18 (12:06 miles)
Yippy-skippy. I think I can finally say that I have improved my time. Which is funny because all fall I was working on improving my 5k speed by running intervals and hills, and really all I needed to do was run more consistently. Perhaps there is a place for both in a good training routine. But it appears that when I am worried about distance and not speed, that is when my speed improves. I had planned on getting up early and going running with Jennifer before she had to go to work today (I have the day off). But she didn't sleep well and wasn't ready to get up that early. So instead I had to do it myself this afternoon. I was torn between using the trail to run, because I haven't done that in so long and running with Hannah because she is such a great running partner. It turned out that I had so much to do today that I didn't have time to drive all the way over to my mom's house. So I ran on the trail. It was pretty difficult. The part of the trail I use is slightly downhill on the way out, but just so slightly that you can't tell until you notice that it is uphill the entire way back. I ran the first mile in just a little over 11 minutes (that should have pointed the hill out to me). The second mile was more on the 12 minute mile pace, and by the third mile I was somewhere up by 13 minutes. But I guess it all averages out.

I am really enjoying the fact that three miles is a "short run" now compared to the four miles I did the other day. I suppose before the race I should attempt to run seven or eight miles, so that the 6.2 seems like nothing. I am getting a little worried about the Havelock run because several people have mentioned how difficult the course is. Apparently it is "all uphill". But I just think: these people haven't run in Atlanta!

I don't want to jinx it, but I was down a pound this morning. I did very good at eating lightly today, so I am hoping it sticks around. And not to sound greedy, but perhaps it will be joined by another pound loss!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry for bailing on you - I should have called you at like 6:45 when I was awake and knew that if I didn't call then, I wouldn't be awake enough again later.... Maybe next time. Anyway, we should meet outside so nobody can bail from now on. Or something.

Anyway, good work with the running. You can do anything after that Atlanta race - the people here don't know anything about hills! You'll be just fine - in fact you'll probably find yourself laughing during the race when you hit the big hill, and it's no steeper than the flattest part of the Atlanta race.

Keep up the good work.