my journey to becoming a runner

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Treadmill Turmoil

Today's Running Goal: 2 miles (left over from Friday this week)
Accomplished: 2 miles in 25:15
I was planning on going to my boring gym today and making myself run those boring two miles, when out of the blue, Brandy called me and asked me to be her guest at Gold's gym. She still has a membership there until the end of May, and she is allowed to take guests each time. So I found myself back at the old place as a visitor this time around. It seems like I never left, even though it's been over a month since I belonged. The run was difficult, but I managed to make it in just over 25 minutes, which is better than last time. But I discovered something. I might have mentioned (either on here, or to anyone who used the treadmill at Goodyear with me) that Goodyear's treadmills seem more difficult. For example, once I was walking a measly 3.4 mph and felt like I was going fast. And then every time I try to run a 12-minute-mile it is nearly impossible. Lately, since I have been running both indoors and outdoors, I don't bother to pay attention to what the treadmill says, I just run until my Ipod tells me I'm done. But with the use of my Ipod I have noticed this. Today when I was running 5.0 on the Gold's treadmill (12 minute mile pace) my Ipod said I was doing 12:21 miles. When I am at Goodyear running at the same 5.0 pace, my Ipod generally says I am doing something like 11:41 miles. There's no way my Ipod could get changed in just the few days it has been since I ran last. This is a quite a difference. Maybe not for one mile, but when you get up there to running three or four or six, it makes the difference of 4-5 minutes. And if I can't trust a treadmill, who can I trust? Well, the answer is a track. I am going to have to head over to Northeast High School sometime, and see what I can make out on their track. I'm gonna need someone to go with me.

I've had a pretty good week. I worked out 7 hours and 40 minutes including Yoga. I tried a new class at the gym. I only ate out twice, although one innocent dinner turned into a two-Margarita-night. And I promised myself I would have no ice-cream cake at bookclub last night and then ended up eating two pieces. But only because it was the best ice-cream cake I have ever had. Has it just been that long since I let myself eat ice cream? So I am not sure how my weight will be tomorrow morning. I am just praying that this is the week it decides to do something different.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You did always say the treadmills at goodyear seem fast. I don't run enough to notice - it always seems torturous to me. But, at least you have a way to measure the difference. Otherwise you'd just assume that you must just think it's harder one place and blame it on heat or boredom or something like that. This way you can really compare.

I would go to the track with you sometime if this winter crap would finally be done. I don't run well in the cold - or any other time for that matter, but a nice spring day would help me power through much more than the cold and wind.

Jen said...

I've always questioned treadmills. That's why I'm usually upset when my regular treadmills are being used. I'm sure it all depends on the age of the treadmill. I like jogging outside because of this, but it's been TOO cold!